At Gudmundur Tyrfingsson Ltd we are highly aware of the importance of keeping the sensitive Icelandic nature as clear and non-polluted as possible. We therefore will, through our activities, promote and support our Icelandic cultural heritage by specializing in culturally related tourism with emphasis on the entertainment aspect of the Icelandic culture.
Our objective is to offer excellent services in the newest and safest coaches available on the market. Minimizing environmental impact while maximizing road safety is our guiding light in the daily operation of the company, as well as in the long-term strategy planning. Our goal is to be a leading coach and tour-operating company when it comes to passenger safety and environment. We endeavor to seek cooperation with companies where a similar ambitious policy is maintained through active environmental practices.
Guðmundur Tyrfingsson enforces the company's Environmental Policy by:
- Informing and training the staff on the company's Environmental Policy and its execution as well as environmental matters in general.
- Once a year the company organizes a training course where environmental effects of our operation are discussed and trained.
- Actively seeking to offer the newest and least polluting coaches available on the market. Today almost all our coaches fulfill the EURO III EU-standardization on pollution. The newest coaches fulfill the EURO IV and V, which have even more stringent requirements.
- Actively cooperating with the environmental conservation company Beluga which is based in Iceland. We develop and execute our Environmental, Safety and Quality Policy in cooperation with Beluga.
- Nearly all our vehicles have a water-based, diesel-fuelled central heating system whereby the engine is preheated up to 80°C prior to the starting of the engine. This way the engine is already near operating temperature when started, resulting in greatly reduced emissions during the first minutes of running. In addition, the water heater is linked to the heating system, which eliminates the necessity of running the engine in order to keep the coach warm. We emphasize the use of the water heater to keep engine idling to a minimum.
- Actively reducing waste production to an absolute minimum as well as sorting waste and reusing all possible items.
- We have full teaching equipment for Eco-driving in one vehicle. This is the first passenger transport vehicle in Iceland to be fitted with this equipment. In our yearly environmental workshop, green driving is thoroughly discussed by the drivers and practical training undertaken. It is very important to minimize pollution and fuel consumption of the vehicles by using the right driving techniques.
- Putting emphasis on tidiness and cleanliness and setting a good example to others. Emphasis is put on having the vehicles in good condition, clean and tidy, and that oil and oil sieves are changed at the right time to minimize impurities in the exhaust.
- Collecting all residue oil in a special tank, which is underneath our garage. The tank is emptied on a regular basis and the oil reused as much as possible. We take special care that hazardous waste does not enter the drains. In case of an accident in or at the garage, the run-off passes through three oil traps prior to entering the drain.
- Emphasizing the use of environmentally friendly products and minimizing the use of other products. We try to buy products from companies that have a clear, and preferably certified, environmental policy.
Environmental issues affect us all, it is never possible to do too much, and far too much in our society can damage the environment and therefore us. These matters are under continual scrutiny at our company, as it is our duty to be conscious and open to all ways to reduce pollution. We follow closely the progress of environmental matters and are fully aware of them, as the future is at stake.
Goals for 2011
- We will review and update our environmental policy (annual goal).
- We will organize an annual course on environmental-, safety- and quality management (annual goal).
- Employees will get a special course on the use of oil heaters aimed at reducing fuel consumption.
- We will review and update the quality manual for drivers (annual goal).
- An extra emphasis will be put on using only economy friendly cleaning products and economy friendly microfiber cloths in all vehicles and in all working areas of the company such as garage and office.
- We will buy at least three new coaches with EURO V engines.